World Heritage Site : The Taj Mahal

Going to Agra to see the Taj Mahal, going on a clicking spree, live-tweeting pictures and coming back and posting them on FB and your blog is probably the mother of all cliches, so here are some more:

Cliche 1: I don't know why I waited all these years to see a wonder of the world that is right here in India.
Cliche 2: In a way, I'm glad I waited and saw it with Ashwin.
Cliche 3: My first glimpse of the Taj Mahal was one of the most special moments of my life.
Cliche 4: OH GOD, IT IS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!

Our first glimpse of the Taj:
Anywhere else, this gorgeous and massive structure would be a famous monument by itself, 
but here, it is just a gateway!
The first glimpse of PERFECTION :)
I know that everything there is to say about the Taj Mahal has already been said, but one thing I wasn't prepared for was its size. 
HUUUUUGE!
We went to the Mehtab Bagh across the River Yamuna to see the Taj Mahal under the setting sun
We were really surprised that there were hardly any tourists in this garden - just a few photography enthusiasts - but better this way I guess, it was so quiet and peaceful :) I am convinced the Taj is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my whole life.

Oh and there's something super-fun I want to mention - My friend Ajay Reddy came up with this unique and exciting travel challenge to visit as many of UNESCO's world heritage sites in India as possible, within the year 2012. You can read about it here. I LOVED the idea and said yes without a second thought. Since work, time and money are big factors, I definitely will not be able to finish the entire list, but I intend to do as many as I can. I have seen 7 so far(in 2012, ie), and the Taj Mahal was one of them. Whenever I post about a UNESCO site, I'll use the tag "Go Unesco". 

(PS: It is currently an invite-only challenge, but you can write to 'ajayrds' at gmail dot com and explain why you think you should be allowed to join the challenge)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,